Mailout functionality allows users to send bulk email communications to applicants and associated contact types within SmartyGrants. Users can filter across programs and applications to ensure the right audience is selected for your correspondence.
You can also send individual emails to applicants and contact types, this is called "Send Email" and can be done from within a contact record on the application contact tab or the contact directory. For more information on how to use Send Email please refer to the Send Email Section below.
Step 1 - Filter Items
- Select the envelope icon at the top of the screen
- Click on the blue Create Mailout button
- Use the available filters to select applications from as many programs and/or rounds as you need to ensure you have captured the correct audience for your Mailout. This filter screen works in a similar way to the application filter screen. For more information on filtering please see Application Filter.
- Once you have applied the filters to capture your audience, click on the blue Next button and save your Mailout Name.
Step 2 - Select Recipients
After your filters have been selected you will need to select the recipients of your Mailout. SmartyGrants will provide a list of contact types available within the applications selected in Step 1.
- Select the Edit button/s to begin selecting recipients
- You can choose one "To" contact type and several "Cc" contact types.
- The recipient summary reflects how many of your chosen "To" contact types are available in the applications you have selected.
- Editing the Recipient List allows you to modify contact types within each application to include in the mailout.
- Selecting edit will show you all contact types available within that application and allow you to select the contact type you wish to include and discard those you do not want to send or Cc. Once you have modified your choices ensure you save.
- The final step of the recipient list is to select or deselect those applications you want to include in the mailout.
- Once your recipient list has been modified as required and your selection is complete you are ready to move to the next step. To do that select the Next button at the top of the screen.
If you Save & Close a mailout to come back later, any applications that may be submitted after this time will not be included.
Step 3 - Compose Mailout
Once you have selected the recipients, confirmed the priority order of the emails' address and edited the email addresses, if required, you are ready to compose your email.
The "To" and "Cc" sections can not be altered at this point, these selected recipients are those that you have already selected in Step 2.
You can however type into the "From" and "Bcc" fields. Using the "From" field to capture your organisation name or round, program name or senders' name for example, will make it clear to your recipient that this correspondence has come from you. *Note: the e-mail address the e-mail will come from is 'firstname.lastname@example.org'. Changing the 'from' field, will change the text 'SmartyGrants' that appears on the e-mail when it arrives in the inbox.
You can also change the "reply-to address" to be any user who has internal access. Any available options will appear in the dropdown list, select which "reply-to address" you would like any responses to be sent back to.
You can enter as many "Bcc" recipients as you need, using a comma to separate.
The Subject field can be typed into directly and should provide the reader with relevant information relating to the contents of the email. Within the Email Contents you can insert fields by selecting the dropdown menu in the email contents menu bar. These fields will populate with information from the application form, making it possible to personalise your correspondence.
After your mail has been composed you can either Save & Close or choose Next. Save & Close will save a draft of your mail out, Next takes you through to the next step of the process.
Step 4- Choose Attachments
There are two types of attachment types available.
Standard attachments - any standard attachment file:
- Click browse and select the file/s you wish to attach.
Generated Attachments - is a generated SmartyGrants report template:
You may select any custom report template. This template will generate the report fields specific to each application you have selected and will be attached as a single file to each e-mail of the mailout.
- Select a report template from the dropdown menu and click on Add Template.
- Once all attachments are added, click on Next.
Step 5 - Review
At this point in the process an email has been drafted and you have an opportunity to preview the email contents before you send.
- If you have added attachments you may preview the e-mail. Click on the preview button.
- To view a standard attachment click on the attachments link
- To view a report you may have added, you will need to click on Generate
- Once the report has generated, click on Download. This will open the report attachment up in Word or Excel.
- Click on Close to close the preview.
- Once you have reviewed your mailout and you are happy to send, click on the blue Send button in the top right hand corner and click on Yes to confirm. If you are not ready to send it yet, or wish to come back to it another time, click on Save and Close in the top right corner, this will save your Draft Mailout.
You will be able to monitor if your Mailout was successful by checking the number of emails in Sent status and by reviewing the number of recipients in successful status.
Step 6 - Confirmation
You will see a copy of the entire mailout under the Sent Mailouts section from the List of Mailouts home page. A copy of the correspondence sent will be attached to the application as a file note, as well as a file note in the contact directory.
- To view the file note, select the mailout summary button.
- Then select View Filenote.
The file note displays which user sent the mailout, the date the mailout was sent, and the mailout name which also hyperlinks back to the summary page.
Send Email is a function that allows you to send a single email to an applicant from the contacts tab of the application or contacts directory.
If you would rather send a bulk email to many applicants you can do this using the Mailouts function. For more information on how to use Mailouts please refer to the above Mailout section.
Select Send Email Option
To begin, if you are using the Contacts tab of the application form you can select the Send Email button.
Alternatively if you are working from the Contacts directory you can select the Send Email button within the contacts card.
Once you have selected the Send Email button from either option SmartyGrants will automatically send you to the Mailout section, ready for you to compose your email.
Step 1- Compose email
To begin composing your email you must choose one "To" recipient from the dropdown list. Send Email will not work without a "To" recipient selected. The recipient dropdown list draws its information directly from the application form. If this information is not available or incorrect please refer to the Help Hub documentation Create/View/Filter/Edit contacts.
In the "Related Application" field you can choose to relate this email to an application or leave it blank. If you relate this to an application when the email is sent a record of the email will be kept within the contact tab of application in the file note section.
You can then type the subject and email contents and select the Next button to move to the next step.
Step 2 - Choose Attachments
You can add an attached file to your email by selecting the Browse option and uploading a saved document, then selecting the Next button to move to the next step.
Alternatively if you have a report created within your program you can upload this to your mailout. All you need to do is choose the template name from the dropdown list and Add Template.
Step 3 - Review
Once you have selected your recipients, composed your email and added any attachments, Send Email will allow you to review your email before sending.
if any adjustments are required please select the Back button. This will allow you to go back through the steps above and make any required changes. If you are happy with your email select the Send button.
Step 4 - Confirm
You will receive a successful status once the email has been sent. Select close to close the window.
SmartyGrants will keep a record of this email in the contacts tab of your application under the file note option (if you linked the application in Step 1) or within the file note section of your contact card in the contacts directory.
To view more information in relation to the email sent please select View Details.
Re-Send Failed Mailout
If a mailout fails you have visibility of this in the Mailouts home page under Sent Mailouts. You can update incorrect email addresses for contacts and resend failed mailouts following a few simple steps:
To identify which emails have failed, select resend mailout from the mailouts home page.
This will take you through to the Mailout summary page where you can see which emails have failed by checking the email status. All failed emails will be displayed at the top of the list.
To see if an edit to contact's email can be completed click on resend. If the contact information next to an email address is blank this contact is a User. A User's email address can only be updated by the user.
Within the resend email window, where a name and blue hyperlink appears, a contact's email address can be changed via the contact directory. You can access the contact directory to make this change by clicking on the hyperlink.
Once changes have been completed to the email address in the contact directory you can navigate back to your mailout and select update to reflect the change.
Clicking on the resend button will resend to all recipients in that email, not just the failed ones.